Onion Dill Bread!

Fall has finally arrived in Central Texas! Cooler weather means baking around here. And as I mentioned in my last post, our farm share this week inspired me.  Tonight I finally had time to bake some bread. I used the green onions and fresh dill from my farm share, as well as some white whole wheat bread.  To round out the meal I also made some white bean and chard soup.  I'll post that recipe tomorrow.

Buttermilk Onion Dill Bread

1 cup warm buttermilk, 115 to 125 degrees F (like a nice warm bath – not too hot – just warm)

1 tablespoon active dry baking yeast
2 tablespoons sugar, honey or agave nectar
3 cups white whole wheat flour (I like King Arthur’s)
2 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup onions or green onions, finely chopped
¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
Pour warm buttermilk into bowl, and add sweetener and yeast. Let sit 5 -10 minutes until yeast is bubbly.
Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add 1 cup of flour mixture to buttermilk mixture and add egg and olive oil. Mix together, then add the rest of the flour mixture, cheese, onions and dill.
Turn mixture onto floured board or counter top and knead for about 5 minutes, until texture is even and smooth.
Place dough into oiled bowl and allow to rise in warm, still spot for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until doubled in size.
Punch down, divide in half, and divide each half into eight even pieces. Roll pieces into balls and place on oiled baking sheet about 1 inch apart.(They will just barely touch after they rise - which I like - it makes a softer roll.  If you like a crustier roll, place them farther apart.)
 Allow to rise for 45 minutes.
Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments

Popular Posts