I Like my Chicken like I like My Men; Local, Fresh & Easy*

Have I mentioned posting every day is somewhat exhausting?  But I seem to have gotten into a bit of a rhythm of easy post easy post involved post easy post.  I'm likin' it.  Today, then, will be an easy post.
But first, might I suggest reading this article by Carol Ann Sayle called, "Eats Shoots and Leaves".  It's a very short article about the benefit of the whole vegetable, and I'm going to work it into tonight's recipe, to boot.
This one is easy.  And since it's so easy, I'm going to write it out like we were chatting on the phone or over coffee.
Let's call it:
Easy Chicken and Broccoli!
1 lb chicken thighs (actually, optional, which I'll explain)
1 lb broccoli (or however much you would like to serve)
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
1/2 tsp hot paprika
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
a drizzle or two of olive oil
Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces - about 1 - 2 inches or so each.
Mix all the spices in a bowl, and add the chicken, and mix to coat.  (I like to get my hands in there and really rub the seasoning in.)
Coat a baking dish (about 8x13, but whatever size, as long as it's large enough for a single layer of the chicken) with olive oil, and add the chicken in a single layer.  Try and leave some space between the pieces, but honestly, I usually do this in a dish where the pieces all touch a bit, and it's totally fine.
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
While the chicken bakes, wash and dry the broccoli and cut it into bite sized pieces.  Remember what Carol Ann said - use the stems, too.  They're yum. I like them either sliced in coins, or diced in cubes.  Both good, although if I do the coins I then halve them.
After the chicken has baked for 10 minutes, pull it from the oven and add the broccoli (mix it with a spoon so the chicken juices and spices coat the broccoli) and  bake for another ten minutes. 
This is good with mac and cheese on the side BUT for some '50's style goodness, you can mix it into your mac and cheese before you bake it.  (And honestly, that's what we ate tonight!) It would also be good over brown rice, or with buttered pasta and a sprinkle of cheese.
This preparation would also totally work without the chicken. Just cut up some broccoli, coat with olive oil and the spice mixture, and roast at 425 degrees until it's done to your liking.
One last thing - all we did here was coat chicken with a favorite seasoning and bake in bite sized pieces, adding veggies for the final 10 minutes.  I've done this with chicken marinated in soy sauce, coated in oregano and garlic, etc.  It's easy, and yummy. 
Not bad for a Tuesday.
*And of course, the title is just a play on "I like my women like I like my coffee" - I like my men local, fresh , already married to me and named "Brit", naturally.

Comments

Popular Posts